Registered Nurses, and notably those of the millennian generation, say it might be higher for his or her careers if nurse licensing were administrated on a national level rather than state by state, in keeping with a recent RN survey by AMN attention.
The survey of quite three,000 RNs found that sixty eight of all respondents favored national licensure, whereas seventy seven of millennian nurses united. The report, 2017 Survey of Registered Nurses: Viewpoints on Leadership, Shortages, and their Profession, includes several findings on problems with importance to nurses.
Nurse support for national licensure doubtless reflects the more and more competitive job market, wherever employment opportunities area unit flourishing, together with across state lines and in travel occupations. National employment searches have become additional common and necessary as attention organizations should request farther abroad for quality nurse candidates. Travel nursing conjointly has mature in charm.
National nurse licensure might increase flexibility and quality for nurses, whereas increasing the enlisting field for attention organizations. Nurses WHO own a compact license can:
- work across state lines while not the necessity to use for multiple state licenses
- renew one license instead of licenses from multiple states
- enjoy simplified compliance as a result of just one license is genuine and valid
- better contribute to serving patients in under-served communities
- save money in licensure prices
- conveniently follow across state borders
These factors area unit refueling the national nurse licensure movement that began within the early 2000s. Created by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing in 2000, the nurse licensure compact offers eligible registered nurses the power to follow in alternative nursing compact states while not having to secure an extra license. Proponents say that multistate licensing can provide patients larger access to quality care, facilitate telemedicine services by quality clinicians across state lines, and supply attention organizations with larger numbers of qualified job candidates.
The current standing of multistate nurse licensing is that the increased Nurse Licensure Compact, or eNLC, that permits registered nurses and authorised practical/vocational nurses to own one multistate license and follow in each their home states and alternative eNLC states. AN someone for licensure in a very state that’s a part of the eNLC should meet eleven uniform needs, together with a federal criminal background check. So far, twenty six states have approved eNLC legislation, whereas legislation and alternative regulation changes area unit unfinished in many states.
Interstate licensure compacts are current for physicians, advanced follow registered nurses, physiotherapist, emergency medical technicians, and psychologists. they’re being thought of for several alternative allied health professionals.
The 2017 Survey of Registered Nurses conjointly disclosed a range of necessary findings regarding nurses’ viewpoints on their profession:
- 82% of nurses agree or powerfully agree that additional nurse leaders area unit required.
- 73% of person nurses going to retire say they’ll do therefore in 3 years or less.
- 48% of nurses in 2017 aforesaid that nursing shortages area unit worse these days than 5 years agone, compared to thirty seventh in 2015.
- 48% of nurses say they won’t pursue more education, compared to forty third in 2015.
- 83% of nurses say they’re glad with their alternative of nursing as a career.
- 55% of nurses worry that their jobs area unit moving their health.